What We Do
As of now, we are in the beginning phase of our collaboration and activities are only opened to closed group members.
Every month, Thavorn Hotels and Resorts sponsor coral conservation dives for officials of the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR). These conservation dives contain the following activities:
- Cleaning seabed of rubbish that could harm the coral reef and marine life
- Construct mooring buoys to help discourage fishing boats from releasing anchors onto the coral reef. Mooring buoys also serve as marker for coral replant areas helping volunteers to easily return to the same spot in future dives.
- Replant coral fragments that were broken off due to human trampling, fishing activities, and waves onto existing dead coral skeletons. Coral fragment that are not replanted will eventually die as they are washed into deeper ocean devoid of sunlight.
- Study the health and survival rate of replanted coral fragments as well as the overall reef in order to monitor success of the project.
- Remove and destroy coral damaging pests, namely the crown-of-thorns starfish that prey on live coral tissue.
In the future, we will be looking to opening conservation dives to a wider audience and allow tourists the opportunity to participate in conservation projects. In the mean time, you can check out our events page. You can also donate to our cause at Thavorn Beach Village Resort and Spa